Saturday, April 11, 2009

Watercolors 101: Birch Trees



Hrmph!  Birch trees!  More like bi-- well, nevermind.

So today I sat down and started to play with the watercolors I'd bought from Michael's yesterday, along with the pad of brand new watercolor paper.  The only real nasty bit is stretching the paper.  On this one I failed miserably, sort of doing things in the wrong order since I was trying to go off of vague memories of doing watercolor back in high school.  Yeah, it's been 10-11 years since I properly stretched paper.

I couldn't find brown gum tape at michael's or walmart either.  :(   So I tried using Duct tape.  "If you can't fix it, duck it!  If you can't duck it...f--"  well you get the idea...  The duct tape didn't work all that well.  I tried stretching another paper and that was more successful, but as the paper stretched, the tape let go of the paper, and all those little ripples came back....

But attempt 2 at watercolors is turning out far better than the halfway done sketch above.  I was just getting a feel up there...and sort of painted over something I already painted.  It really helps to have a plan.  

Stay tuned...

2 comments:

Jacqui More said...

oooh I like! this looks like something I'd put in a black frame and put in the living room!! NICE!

Unknown said...

Ha...It would look better to me if it weren't for the fact that I can see my attempted landscape through the black and green vertical streaks. No one seems to notice tho. ^^;