In the meantime, I realized I'm sick of almost all of the music I have. Time for a change. It doesn't help that I've been trying to slowly figure out what I got through downloads back when Napster was big and through Bittorrent and friends in ways that might be seen as illegal (I was downloading before the big hissy fit thrown by licensing companies and didn't think much of it). Now I'm trying to be honest about everything I have. It's kinda a slow process with the few thousand songs I have.
I listen to a bit of everything, but I tend to gravitate toward soundtracks, Celtic music, techno and rock the most. Yeah, odd mix, but it fits whatever mood I'm in. Still, I'm tired of everything. I flip through the songs going, nope-nope-nope. And I'm already looking toward November, when I'll be writing. I guess I could buy a couple of soundtracks to get me through the month. The Harry Potter 6 OST was nice.
Still, I just bought two Daft Punk albums and am already kind of tired of those. No winning! I need to start stocking up on my music for the upcoming National Novel Writing Month in November. Yeah, I know it's only July, but I'm already starting to think about it. I don't want to write Slain again this year. Three years in a row for the same story is pushing it. I need to push through Slain before then. I'm tired of the story at this point, and I don't think I will ever publish it because the beginning is so harsh and dark, and I think a lot of people would miss where I'm going with its message. I don't know if I like that either, so it will stay on the website behind the Vault and nowhere else. Maybe someday it will come out, but not now.
Ah well, back to music: I think I'm going to dig out a bunch of CDs we bought a long time ago and start ripping them and listening to those. We have stacks that mom has bought or that I had in HS when I had my big Contemporary Christian Music craze. It's been a while before I've given Christian bands a chance. It's not that I don't want to hear Christian stuff, but I think I grew sort of disillusioned with the whole thing and wary of it. There's nothing like hearing a song, liking it, and then finding out the lyrics were reeking of horrendous messages. I, myself, have been discouraged because I thought I needed to feel God like some experience. As if my faith needed to depend on having dreams, messages or some warm fuzzies. Sometimes the CCM thing just feels irreverent too, and I find myself growing really intolerant of people representing religion in "gimmicky" ways.
Either way, I think I will go through some of the old music, pick out the good stuff and chuck the rank.
Anyway, I won't go there in depth. That's a rant I could spend an hour typing on, and it's 3:30 am.
Good night.
2 comments:
I was big time into CCM for a long time, I think you knew that tho... I recently dug up some Amy Grant, though she's one of the few that didn't grate on me ever though she grated on others cuz of her beliefs and actions. Anything with CCM though, knowledge-wise that I have is OLLLLLD stuff like erm.. Scott Blackwell, Dietephobia (very cool people), Painted Orange (I really liked them!) Cindy Morgan... stuff that's way over 10 yrs old... I have NONE of this stuff tho, it was all on tape and I pitched it when I left Baruth and that madness.
ANYWAY... I'd gladly share my LFN full on soundtrack with you once I recover it all.
I want to track down some daft punk now after the samples you linked me to on youtube :) I like!
Recent stuff I have is Lady Gaga and... erm... I think that's the most recent I have... I got Feel Good 80s but am deleting that, it sucks, I don't feel so good about the 80s anymore, the cheap synth music now annoys me HAHAH no nostalgia at ALL.
I love this pic of Izu... I like that she's older here than in First Insight and I like how you focused on the harder, take no crap business look she has, very fitting to a skeptical Fed type.
Yes yes... there's a few more.. the MEN of Wasteland! ooh I sense promotional gimmicks.
Promotional gimmicks? Lol!
Yeah, with the trip looming, I realized that I always forget to look through the stuff 10+ years. Only now I realize there's a TON of missing CD's so I'll have to pester mom as I pack.
Third Day still has to be the best sounding Christian rock band I've heard.
Yeah I remember you telling me about the CCM thing, and I think that also made me annoyed at the whole thing. I guess the best way to look at it is that it's a business, and they're out to make money. Most of the people behind the scenes don't care what goes out there or how the people get into it. The fact that it partially factored into you leaving is evidence enough to make me really annoyed with the whole affair.
Ha...I remember having a bunch of cassettes for a while. They all melted.
Yes, track down Daft Punk. Human After All is only five bucks for the mp3's on amazon. :P
Post a Comment